Saturday 26 October 2013

Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland is such a magical story and having had the opportunity to play Alice in the stage version in year 9 of school, I love everything about the character. I would lying if I said I had never put on an Alice band and stepped out my front door wishing I was stepping into Wonderland. So when I acquired my precious new and most treasured item of clothing; the Topshop "Organza Insert Calf Skirt", I considered that a real life Alice may be my calling in life.
I had hovered over the "checkout" button of my Topshop basket for at least 8 weeks, deliberating over whether spending £48 on a skirt that I would adore too much to actually wear was a bit excessive and I surprised myself when I managed to close down the website without the purchase. That was until I realised that the skirt and I were meant to be together.
Then something magical happened...
My close pal and fashion friend G had spent an evening engrossed in eBay- a little activity I find myself doing way too often and resulting in an ugly competitive side to myself appearing. And she found the skirt. In my size; she found the skirt. And she bid on the skirt, and she won. Consequently; G had to pay for a skirt that was not her size as a result of the excitement and exhilaration that eBay can cause in someone when you find the perfect item for a perfect price. So I bought the skirt off her; impulsively and spontaneously, and I think it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
I now ask myself where do I wear this skirt? As a 16 year old girl in sixth form with a dress code which I wouldn't describe to be restricting but is in no way "expressive", I found I encountered the problem of little opportunity to wear the beautiful item. So instead I saved it. Until the day my friend Aarah asked to photograph me in the skirt, for an Alice in Wonderland inspired shoot; to say I was excited is an understatement.
I got myself dressed in the most Alice-esque manner possible and it is safe to say I felt like I was in my personal Wonderland (as juvenile as that sounds). Here are some of the results of Aarah's talented photography skills, and the skirt's indisputable beauty.


Shirt - £3 Primark 
Jumper- £3 Local Havens Hospice Charity Shop (you'll come to realise that I practically live in there)

Dr. Martens - TK Maxx (I cannot remember how much they were exactly but I believe about £50) 
They are the ultimate boot. Knee high, leather and statement.


Aarah provided the most wonderful of props. A vintage perfume bottle of her Mum's which I would have stolen from her but she's too lovely to do that. 
And below, a watch of Aarah's, which I offered to buy from her but she was having none of it. 





Although not a clear shot, the coat - £35 H&M (also features in my previous post- New and overexcited)
This shoot was so much fun; as it always is working with Aarah, and I couldn't be more honoured and delighted to have been chosen to represent the character of Alice. Her photography is top notch, don't you agree? 
I apologise to Aarah for how difficult I was but you must understand how I was not pleased with the idea of this skirt being in a dirty forest for it's first appearance but it most certainly was a grand and purposeful first appearance. I may even start wearing it to sixth form; it may not be my wonderland but maybe the skirt will add that bit of fairy-tale charm.
It's astonishing, don't you think, how a simple item of clothing can completely transform how you feel. Maybe that's a reason in itself to wear it everyday, to feel 100% enchanted, like I've just fallen down a rabbit hole, but without looking like that I hope. 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment